Sunday, April 22, 2012

True Leaves Begin to Emerge

Just a quick update to say that I had to replant several seeds this weekend. Overall everything germinated, but for example the 4 tomatillos that germinated then rotted before they could get going. I had about one-third of my seedlings fail to germinate, or emerge and then die off.  I attribute this to the poor weather last weekend, it snowed and was cold an overcast so the seedlings did not get much heat or sun.  Also several of the peat pots experienced forms of mould.  This is because I did not use sterile potting soil or seed starting mix.  This is an error I won't repeat.  
So the photo above shows the remaining two-thirds of the seedlings that are off to a good start and have begun to grow their first sets of true leaves.  In the meantime I purchased a bunch of sterile peat pucks that I have used to sow a follow up batch of plants, a little bit of everything, to make sure I have a full crop this year.  Today I watered these little guys with a Miracle-Gro Quick Start starting solution plant food 4-12-4.  Hopefully they enjoy the good weather expected over the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment