Sunday, April 21, 2013

Everything is getting a little bit bigger

We have seen continued success in the seedlings department.  I am quite happy with the grow lights this year.  We have continued to experience a cold April this year.  It is currently 0C and it is April 21 today.  We also have not been getting many sunny days.  So the grow lights have been good to have around.

In the photo above the largest plants are the tomatillos.  The grow lights really helped prevent them from getting too leggy.  Last year all but one died as a result of being too leggy.  In the foreground the peat seed pellet is a Gusto Purple Pepper.  The tomato in the middle ground is a Lemon Boy.


Above is the latest seedlings to crop up.  This tray is a real mixed bag of everything from Yellow Pear tomatoes, Totem F1 tomatoes, Hot Wax peppers and Purple Gusto peppers.  The seeds with the worst germination rate this year are the Organic Yellow Pear.  I think I have about 3 of them out of all I planted.

The Sub Arctic tomatoes are the hands-down off to the races winners this year.  They are doing very well.  I had to stake them up to keep them from bending over into the sun, but otherwise seem to be very well suited to the cooler climate and obviously are vigorous growers.

Above is an overhead shot to show you what the growing set up looks like right now.  We are about to go out of town for a week and have a house sitter, so I have the lights on timers, and the only thing the house sitter needs to do is water the trays. I will not be expecting any seedlings that sprout while we are away to survive, or be transplanted into pots, so this is the extent of the tomato and pepper crop this year.  I might have a peek into the seed incubator when I get back and see if there is anything to salvage, but I am not going to get my hopes up.

Seed Count:

Sub Arctic - 5
Hot Wax - 7
Gusto Purple - 5
Toma Verde - 5
Lemon Boy - 5
Totem - 2
Yellow Pear - 2
Unknown - 2 (Ran out of plant i.d. tags)

All in all it seems like an interesting, diverse crop is shaping up this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment